The introductory concentration responds to the need of promoting and expanding the knowledge of Mandarin Chinese language and the cultures of Chinese-speaking regions in the United States. It is designed to move the students with no or basic knowledge of Mandarin Chinese toward an intermediate-low proficiency, allowing them to
- develop listening, speaking, reading, and writing skills in Mandarin Chinese.
- discuss cultural readings from the Mandarin-speaking world.
- successfully handle a limited number of uncomplicated communicative tasks by using the language in straightforward social situations.
- successfully handle conversation restricted to some of the concrete exchanges and predictable topics necessary for survival in the target-language culture.
- be generally understood by sympathetic interlocutors, particularly by those accustomed to dealing with non-natives.
- demonstrate cultural awareness and respect toward the Mandarin-speaking communities.
All students are strongly encouraged to take a language proficiency test at the end of the program.