Students in the College of Business Administration are expected to comply with the academic requirements and regulations listed in the university section of this bulletin. Amplifications and additions to the university requirements are detailed herein and govern only those students enrolled in the College of Business Administration. Procedures developed to enforce university and college regulations are available for review in the college office.

Academic Load

The academic load of a student is measured by credit hours assigned to each course. The normal business administration program varies from 12 to 19 credit hours per term.

Request for permission to exceed 19 credit hours must be submitted through a Credit Overload request form and letter of rationale to the assistant dean prior to registration.

Academic Dismissal/Probation/Academic Alert

Academic Dismissal

The College of Business Administration adheres to the University Academic Censure Policy.

Academic Probation

In addition, students in academic difficulty are placed on academic probation by the College of Business Administration. Students in the college are expected to maintain a C (2.000) academic average overall and in all College of Business Administration courses. Students who fail to maintain progress necessary to meet university and college graduation requirements are subject to academic censure. A student on academic probation is directed as to what academic outcome they are expected to attain in the subsequent term to continue enrollment. Note: Students can also be placed on probation and subject to academic censure for accumulating 15 percent of hours attempted with a grade of F or WF.

College Academic Alert (CAA)

Students admitted to the College of Business Administration are expected to meet college academic standards and maintain good academic standing. Academic performance is monitored carefully by the Committee on Scholastic Actions, and students either not maintaining steady progress or not demonstrating adequate achievement are barred from future registration by a College Academic Alert (CAA) registration hold.

The bases for committee review are:

  • grade point average (GPA) deficiency
  • inadequate progress
  • grades of C-, D+, D, F, I, ADW, W, WA, WF, U, UNC or UW 
  • the number of terms on college probation
  • the violation of special conditions

Special conditions may be prescribed in writing at the time of the student’s admission, readmission or transfer into the college. Conditions may also be prescribed in writing in the case of a student whose course performance or failure to follow academic advice warrants such action. All students to whom conditions have been specified are subject to committee review and possible CAA restriction should they fail to fulfill the specified terms. It is possible that a student can be barred from registration for academic reasons even though the student’s cumulative GPA exceeds 2.000. Students concerned about their academic progress should consult the college office.

Students placed on CAA status are notified by letter or email of the committee’s decision and of the appeal process. If a student's appeal is denied, the student may request to enroll in another college as outlined in the University Academic Censure Policy in this bulletin, and if accepted, the CAA hold is removed after admission into the new college.

Unless the CAA is removed via the individual colleges' appeal process, the student may not register for courses at Marquette and may be dropped from any classes for future terms in which they are registered.


Students are expected to attend every exercise of the courses in which they are registered. Any absence, regardless of the reason, prevent the student from getting the full benefit of the course and renders a student liable to university censure. Since it is assumed that no college student should be absent from class without reason, the college does not differentiate officially between excused and unexcused absences.

When a student has absences in hours greater than two weeks of class periods, they may be dropped without warning, earning a grade of WA, at the request of the instructor or the dean of the college. After the WA grade has been issued, the student may not apply for a grade of W.

All students enrolled in courses taught by the College of Business Administration must conform to the attendance policy in effect in the College of Business Administration even though they are registered through another college or division of the university.

For more information on attendance, refer to the University Attendance Policy.

Background Checks, Drug Testing

Some degrees, majors and/or courses may require a student to submit to a criminal background check and/or drug testing. The results of those checks and/or tests may affect the student's eligibility to continue in that degree, major and/or course.

CR/NC Option

For enrichment purposes, junior and senior students are given an option to elect one course per term (to a maximum of four courses) for which only a CR or NC grade is assigned. Quality of C or higher achievement must be maintained if a grade of CR is to be assigned.

Eligible courses include only non-business electives, which are not used to satisfy non-business core requirements. Courses for a minor or major cannot be taken under the CR/NC option. No business course may be taken under the CR/NC option by a business administration student if the student wishes that course to fulfill a graduation requirement for either number of hours or as a required course for the core or major. LEAD, BUAD and internship grading courses are graded using the S and U grades and do not fall within the CR/NC option.

C-, D+ and D grades

A grade of C or higher must be earned in each of a student's major courses including the core courses introducing the major.
Credit is never given twice for the same course, with the exception of different sections of variable topic courses. (Refer to the University Repeat Policy)

Accounting students must earn a C or better in ACCO 1030 Principles of Financial Accounting and ACCO 1031 Principles of Managerial Accounting prior to enrolling in ACCO 3001 Intermediate Accounting.

Declaration of Major

Each business student is encouraged to declare a major prior to registration for the junior year. All students should declare their major(s) prior to advising and registration for the senior year. 

Grade Appeals and Policy Procedures

The college adheres to University Grade Appeals Policy. Any appeal must begin with the instructor who assigned the grade. If a resolution cannot be reached, the department chairperson must be contacted with a written appeal. Information concerning subsequent steps can be obtained from the assistant dean of undergraduate programs or the executive associate dean. To appeal a WA grade, contact the executive associate dean of the College of Business Administration in writing within 5 business days of this notification.


All graduates are expected to complete the Satisfaction Review Sheet prior to their graduation. All May graduates are required to attend the university and college Commencement ceremonies. Refer to the college graduation requirements and the university graduation requirements for additional information.  

Independent Study Courses

The purpose of an independent study business course (4995) is to provide an independent, directed-study experience for the qualified student. Independent study courses are not available for those courses in the same term when the course is being offered. The appropriate use of an independent study course is to allow the further pursuit of topics and issues presented in a course and/or a legitimate course of study for which no regularly scheduled course is presently offered. Obtaining permission and approval for a 4995 is contingent on the approval of the research proposal, the willingness of a specific faculty member to accept students' proposals and that faculty member’s willingness to work with students for the duration of the course. All 4995 courses must have written approval from the instructor and the department chair. To qualify, students must have attained junior or senior standing. The Independent Study Course approval form is found on the Marquette Central academic forms website.

Summer Sessions Study Approval

Students who plan to study in summer school at another institution must obtain written approval for each course before the summer term begins. If prior approval is not obtained, there is no guarantee that credits earned will be accepted by Marquette University. Course approval forms are obtained on the Marquette Central website. Students must earn a C grade or better in the course to be eligible for transfer credit; only credits transfer, not the grade. It is required that once a student matriculates at Marquette, business courses and calculus must be taken at Marquette. Business students studying overseas, upon approval of the international director may allow some business courses to transfer.

Transfer Students (Advanced Standing)

The College of Business Administration accepts credit from both two and four-year educational institutions based on the University Transfer Policy and an individual evaluation of credits earned using the following criteria:

a. Educational objectives and nature of the institution from which students transfer credit.

b. Comparability of the nature, content and level of credit earned offered by the college. Courses offered on the lower division at other institutions, but at the upper division at Marquette University, are normally not acceptable. Occasionally, such courses may be validated.

c. Appropriateness and applicability of the credit earned to the programs offered by the college, in the light of students' goals and the nature of Marquette’s education. The college normally does not accept highly technical, career oriented courses, physical education courses or courses earned in fulfillment of requirements for a professional license or certification.

d. A C grade or better must be earned to be considered for transfer; only credits transfer, not the grade.

e. Upper division business course credits are only accepted from AACSB accredited schools.

Such validation is usually based on the successful completion of advanced courses in a given area and may include written examinations and/or CLEP tests, based on the university policy in this bulletin. Discuss validation with the assistant dean of undergraduate programs.

Other Academic Regulations

For additional information on university regulations, see the Academic Regulations section of this bulletin.