Withdrawal - Graduate School

Graduate School Withdrawal Policy

Failure to officially withdraw from classes, or the university, according to established deadlines in the Academic Calendar, the procedures referenced below and the timelines, as published by the Bursar's Office, does not relieve students of their responsibility to pay for any tuition/fees owed for such classes. In addition, if students cease attendance by dropping, withdrawing or for any other reason from all federal aid eligible courses in a payment period, those students must be considered withdrawn for federal aid purposes. Students' financial aid is adjusted as required by federal and state refund calculations and institutional policy, based on the last date of attendance, as reported by the students' college. Students' withdrawals are reported to the National Student Loan Data System when any loan deferments need to be canceled at the time of withdrawal. Finally, the date on which withdrawal forms are submitted to the university is the date used for any tuition refund calculations.


Students who do not wish to remain enrolled in a course or courses must drop via CheckMarq before the deadline to Add/Drop. After the deadline to Add/Drop, students should review the Marquette Central website for procedures related to withdrawing from single classes or the university. Student-initiated class withdrawals result in a W (withdrawal) grade. As per the consequences outlined in this Enrollment Changes section, it is extremely important that students contact the Graduate School office as soon as the decision to withdraw is made. Tuition refunds and W (Withdrawal) grades are based on the date the withdrawal action is taken, not on the date the student last attended classes.

Students who must withdraw from a course with a W (Withdrawal) grade must do so before the deadline date listed in the Academic Calendar. Due to excessive absences or other reasons, including failure to formally withdraw before the deadline, students may be administratively withdrawn from a course and incur a grade of either ADW (Administrative Withdrawal), UW (Unexcused Withdrawal), WA (Withdrawn-Excessive Absences) or WF (Withdrawn-Failure). A W grade will not replace grades of ADW, UW, WA or WF already assigned.

When withdrawing from any portion of a course load, students must carefully consider the ability of their remaining enrollment to satisfy any enrollment requirements to which they might be subject due to applications for student loans, loan repayment deferments, visas, etc. In the case of a UW grade, the fact students do not attend class does not relieve them of the obligation to pay any tuition and/or fees that are due.

Students assume responsibility for all consequences as a result of receiving any withdrawal grade. The consequences may include, but are not limited to: a delay in graduation, dismissal from the degree program, external institutions/entities viewing these grades as failing grades, loss of eligibility for certain scholarships and/or financial aid, loss of full-time status and/or loss of any refunds.


Students enrolled in one or more courses who, after the deadline to Add/Drop, decide to discontinue study for the term must notify the Graduate School office and complete a Request to Drop a Course(s) form on the Graduate School forms website. The same rules, procedures, and cautions for partial withdrawals also apply to complete withdrawals, as outlined above. Withdrawing from all courses does not automatically withdraw students from their graduate program, but it might affect eligibility to register in subsequent terms.