Academic Regulations and General Information

Students in the College of Health Sciences are expected to comply with the academic requirements and regulations listed in the university section of this bulletin and must fulfill the graduation requirements stated in the bulletin in effect the year they entered Marquette.

Students who have interrupted their enrollment from the university typically follow the degree requirements listed in the bulletin in effect during the academic year of their return. Policies and regulations in effect at the time of return apply to all students, regardless of the term of their initial enrollment.

It is the responsibility of students to know and fulfill all university, college/department cognates and major requirements.

While the principal policies and procedures of the college are contained in this section of the bulletin, questions concerning other regulations should be directed to the college or relevant department office.

Academic Integrity

The College of Health Sciences follows the university guidelines for cases of academic dishonesty that are defined in the University Academic Integrity Policy in this bulletin.

Academic Load

The academic load of a student is measured by credit hours assigned to each course. The normal College of Health Sciences program varies from 15 to 18 credit hours per term. Request for permission to exceed 19 credit hours must have prior approval from the dean’s office.

Academic Dismissal/Probation/Academic Alert

The College of Health Sciences (CHS) is dedicated to ensuring students complete their undergraduate degree programs in a timely manner. To ensure timely degree completion, all CHS students are required to declare a major upon admission to the college and maintain good academic standing. Failure to maintain good academic standing may result in Academic Dismissal/College Academic Probation and/or College Academic Alert (CAA), as described below.

Academic Dismissal

The College of Health Sciences adheres to the University Academic Censure Policy.

College Academic Probation

Undergraduate students in the College of Health Sciences may be placed on academic probation for the following:

  1. A single term grade point average below 2.000.
  2. Two or more grades of F, ADW, AU, W, WA, WF, UY and/or UW for a single term or four or more total grades of F, ADW, AU, W, WA, WF, UY and/or UW. A complete term withdrawal, in which a student withdraws from all classes in a given term, counts as a single occurrence of W grades.
  3. Failure to enroll in courses consistent with the declared primary major plan of study, including major cognates. Study abroad terms are excluded from this requirement.
  4. Failure to meet major-specific academic requirements (as listed in the majors sections of the bulletin) that results in dismissal from that major. Students dismissed from a CHS major are placed on academic probation and allowed to continue for one term in the College of Health Sciences with a major of undecided. These students are assigned an adviser from the college office who assists the students in identifying a new plan of study, either within the College of Health Sciences or via transfer to another college at Marquette.

College Academic Alert (CAA)

Students admitted to the College of Health Sciences are expected to meet college academic standards and maintain good academic standing. Academic performance is monitored carefully by the Committee on Scholastic Actions, and students either not maintaining steady progress or not demonstrating adequate achievement are barred from future registration by a College Academic Alert (CAA) registration hold.

The bases for committee review are:

  • grade point average (GPA) deficiency
  • inadequate progress
  • grades of C- or below, U, UNC, UW, UY, W, WA, WF or ADW
  • the number of terms on college probation
  • the violation of special conditions

Special conditions may be prescribed in writing at the time of students' admission, readmission or transfer into the college. Conditions may also be prescribed in writing in the case of students whose course performance or failure to follow academic advice warrants such action. All students to whom conditions have been specified are subject to committee review and possible CAA restriction should they fail to fulfill the specified terms. It is possible that students are barred from registration for academic reasons even though the cumulative GPA exceeds 2.000. Students concerned about their academic progress should consult the college office.

Students placed on College Academic Alert status are notified by letter or email of the committee’s decision and of the appeal process. If an appeal is denied, students may request to enroll in another college via the process outlined in the University Academic Censure Policy of this bulletin, and if accepted, the CAA hold is removed after transfer into the new college.

Note: Students in the professional phase of the Doctoral of Physical Therapy, Master of Athletic Training or Master of Physician Assistant Studies programs must comply with the academic regulations listed in the respective student handbook, issued to students upon entering the professional phase of the curriculum.

Unless the CAA is removed via the individual colleges' appeal process, students may not register for courses at Marquette and may be dropped from any classes for future terms in which they are registered.


Upon enrollment in the College of Health Sciences students are assigned an adviser. The adviser assists students with course selection, sequencing of courses, academic matters related to their curriculum and career advising. It is the responsibility of all students to monitor their own progress toward degree requirements.


Courses in the College of Health Sciences often include performance under the guidelines and supervision of faculty and staff in classroom, laboratory, clinic as well as on- and off-campus professional situations. Students are expected to attend all meetings of the courses in which they are registered. Any absence, regardless of the reason prevents students from getting the full benefit of the course. Professors in the College of Health Sciences set their course attendance policy within the guidelines of the University Attendance Policy, and provide it at the start of the term in the course syllabus. It is the responsibility of students to follow the attendance policy for the courses in which they are enrolled. College of Health Sciences course professors may submit a grade of WA for students with excessive absences, as defined in the attendance policy for a course.

Background Checks, Drug Testing

Some degrees, majors and/or courses may require students to submit to a criminal background check and/or drug testing. The results of those checks and/or tests may affect the students' eligibility to continue in that degree, major and/or course.

CR/NC Option

For enrichment purposes, junior and senior students are given an option to elect one course per term (to a maximum of four courses) for which only a CR (credit) or NC (no-credit) is assigned.

Eligible courses include only true electives in the individual’s program selected from offerings by other divisions of the university. Courses excluded are all those taken in fulfillment of the requirements of the core curriculum and all offerings in their specific major or minor.

Dean's List Criteria

College of Health Sciences degree-seeking undergraduate and health sciences professional students are recognized by the dean as having achieved the distinction of the dean’s list for the respective term if they: complete 12 or more credits, have a term GPA of at least 3.500 and did not receive any grades of ADW, F, I, UNC, U, UW, UY, WA or WF for the term.

Grade Appeal Procedure

If students feel that the scoring and/or grading of an individual quiz, examination or assignment is in error, they should call it to the attention of the instructor of the course immediately upon receipt of the grade.

Students may appeal a final grade received in a course if they believe the grade to be in error. Students are expected to exhaust all possibilities of resolving the problem with the instructor. If this does not lead to resolution, students may initiate, in writing, a formal appeal of the grade to the chairperson of the department. Students' written requests must state the reason they believe the grade should be changed. The chairperson reserves the right to meet with students and instructors separately and/or together. The chairperson makes the final decision regarding the grade appeal. Students can appeal the decision of the chairperson to the dean of the College of Health Sciences. No level of appeal is available beyond the dean. No formal request for a grade appeal is given consideration if the request is submitted later than the deadline to appeal a grade, as indicated in the University Academic Calendar.  

Independent Study Courses

Independent study courses (4995/7995) may be taken in the College of Health Sciences. The purpose of these courses is to provide an independent, guided study experience for qualified students. Students must be in good academic standing in the College of Health Sciences. The purpose of an independent study course is to allow students to pursue topics and issues in a course and/or a legitimate course of study for which no regularly scheduled course is offered. Permission and approval is contingent on the approval of the research proposal, the faculty’s willingness to accept the proposal and to work with students for the duration of the course. All independent study courses must have written approval from the instructor, department chairperson and assistant dean. Some majors may limit the number of credits from independent study work that can apply towards major and/or minor requirements. The form required to request the Independent Study is located on the Marquette Central academic forms website.

Transfer Credit Policy

The College of Health Sciences grants credit for courses taken for a grade and completed with a C or better. Only credit transfers, not grades. Courses completed on a quarter-hour system are converted to semester credits. (See the University Transfer Policy in this bulletin). A Marquette equivalent is specified for each transferable course. Courses awarded as 9290-9294 (lower-division) or 9390-9399 (upper-division) indicate courses that transfer for which there is no discernible Marquette equivalent. These credits count toward the degree hours completed, however, they do not fulfill any requirement where a specific course number (i.e. ENGL 1001 Foundations in Rhetoric or BISC 1015 Principles of Human Anatomy and Physiology) has been indicated. Contact the college office with any questions or concerns regarding the transfer of credits. Students who plan to take courses at another institution are required to submit the External Transfer Course Request form available on the Marquette Central website. Approval is based on course descriptions in the current bulletin of the college or university at which the courses is attempted. If prior approval is not obtained, there is no guarantee that credits earned or course(s) are accepted or transferred by Marquette University. It is the responsibility of students to be aware of any restrictions specific accelerated degree programs and/or professional programs place on transfer courses. For example, the Doctor of Physical Therapy program requires all prerequisites for the DPT program be completed via class-based instruction (not online) and limits the number of credits that can be taken outside MU.