Both institutional (merit-based) and Federal Title IV funds are available to graduate students at Marquette University. The Graduate School offers and administers institutional aid such as university-funded teaching assistantships, research assistantships, graduate assistantships, tuition scholarships and a variety of fellowships. The Office of Student Financial Aid, located in Marquette Central, offers and administers Federal Title IV funds and on- and off-campus employment opportunities.

Students may opt to pay for their studies in a variety of ways. In addition to merit- and need-based aid, they may use their personal funds, sign up for the monthly payment plan offered by Marquette Central, receive assistantships funded by faculty members’ grants, or apply for outside scholarships and fellowships. Numerous funding options are listed and regularly updated in the financial aid section of the Graduate School website.

Resolution of the Council of Graduate Schools in the United States

Marquette University is a signatory to the CGS resolution. The resolution states that acceptance of an offer of financial support (such as a graduate scholarship, fellowship, traineeship or assistantship) for the next academic year by a prospective or enrolled graduate student completes an agreement that both student and Graduate School expect to honor. When students accept an offer before April 15 and subsequently desire to withdraw that acceptance, they may submit a written resignation of the appointment at any time through April 15. However, an acceptance given or left in force after April 15 commits students to not accept another offer without first obtaining a written release from the institution to which a commitment has been made. Similarly, an offer by an institution after April 15 is conditional on presentation by the students of written release from any previously accepted offer. It is further agreed that institutions subscribing to the CGS resolution enclose a copy of the resolution with every scholarship, fellowship, traineeship and assistantship offer it sends prior to April 15.

Merit-Based Competitive Financial Aid

Students applying for merit-based aid must:

  • Be admitted to degree or certificate programs (exceptions are made for the Catholic Schools Personnel Scholarships and the Milwaukee Area Teachers Scholarships).
  • Maintain 3.000 grade point averages (term and cumulative). Failure to do so may result in the withdrawal or discontinuation of their aid.

Awards are made on the basis of academic record and scholarly promise. Factors used in determining this aid include the applicants’ transcripts, letters of recommendation, test scores and academic backgrounds. Financial need is not a factor.

Every recipient of financial aid offered by the Graduate School is notified of the rules and guidelines for Graduate School financial aid. The rules and guidelines for assistantships and scholarships are available online. These documents cover topics such as responding to the offer, reapplying for aid and handling involuntary termination procedures. Acceptance of the offer of financial aid implies knowledge of the rules and guidelines covering such aid, and aid recipients are held accountable for complying with those rules and guidelines.


Assistants work no more than twenty hours per week in their departments and receive stipends and full tuition scholarships. The Marquette University Graduate Assistant Handbook contains important information pertaining to graduate assistantships that are offered by, or in conjunction with, the Marquette University Graduate School.

Types of Assistantships

  • Graduate Teaching Assistantships
    Graduate teaching assistants may serve as instructors of record, or assist faculty in teaching courses including functioning as discussion/laboratory section leaders or in providing other appropriate professional assistance including grading examinations, problem sets, and/or lab assignments, setting up displays for lectures and laboratory sections, and preparing or maintaining equipment used in laboratory sections.
  • Graduate Research Assistantships
    Graduate research assistants are graduate students conducting academically significant research under the direction of a faculty member. Graduate research assistantships are awarded by departments with faculty members engaged in research projects.
  • Graduate Assistantships
    Graduate assistants are appointed for the primary purpose of assisting in classroom or laboratory instruction or in the conduct of research. Graduate assistants are included in this category when differentiating between instruction and research duties is difficult.
  • Graduate Service Assistantships
    Graduate service assistants meet the definition of a graduate assistant except students are not appointed for the primary purpose of assisting in classroom or laboratory instruction or in the conduct of research. Graduate service assistant positions are awarded for the primary purpose of gaining experience, practice or guidance that is significantly connected to the students' fields of study and career preparation. Graduate service assistants typically serve the university outside of an academic department and may provide service to off-campus organizations affiliated with the university. Trinity Fellows are included in this classification.

For more information about assistantships, go online to view the Marquette University Graduate Assistant Handbook.


Many programs offer scholarships to pay for tuition charges. Scholarships do not pay for prerequisites, audited courses or non-related degree program courses and fees. They do not pay for more than six thesis or twelve dissertation credits.  


A number of foundations, corporations, individual philanthropists, as well as the university, provide fellowships to Marquette graduate students. Fellowships do not have departmental work obligations, but outside employment is not allowed without the written permission of students' advisers and the Graduate School. Specific requirements of fellowships are included in award offer letters. Most fellowships require departmental nominations. See the Graduate School Financial Aid Resources website for a listing of fellowships and application and nomination requirements. 

Application Procedures

New applicants for admission apply for financial aid on the application for admission, and submit all admission materials by the application deadline (see below). Applicants for the Catholic Schools Personnel Scholarship must download, complete and submit the application, available online.

Admitted or continuing students apply for financial aid on CheckMarq by the application deadline (see below). Step-by-step instructions are available online.

Application Deadlines

For priority consideration, applications are due by the end of the day on the following dates.

Session Dates
Fall Term Feb. 15
Spring Term Nov. 15
Summer Term April 15

Some programs may have deadlines for fall admission that are earlier than the financial aid application deadlines. New applicants for financial aid in those programs must adhere to the earlier department deadlines that are listed in the specific program sections of this bulletin.

Employees and Individuals Eligible for Tuition Remission

Marquette University employees and their family members, and certain non-employees, who receive tuition benefits (such as faculty remission, employee remission, spousal remission, dependent/child remission or non-employee remission) are not eligible to receive Graduate School-funded tuition scholarships in addition to their remission benefits. However, they can apply for and receive graduate assistantships if they decline their remission benefits, and meet all assistantship eligibility requirements as stated in the Marquette University Graduate Assistant Handbook

Office of Student Financial Aid

Financial aid is monetary assistance to help students meet the expenses of going to college. Financial aid is not intended to cover all of a student's expenses. The primary financial responsibility belongs to the student and their family. The Office of Student Financial Aid at Marquette University attempts to help bridge the gap between the costs of attending the university and the ability of the student and their family to meet those costs.

A student's financial aid award may include one or a combination of scholarships, assistantships or student loans to help meet the costs of a graduate or professional program. Scholarships and assistantships are awarded by each school or program (dental, law, health sciences or graduate). Questions concerning scholarships and assistantships should be directed to the admissions or dean’s office of the school or program in which you plan to enroll.

The most current and accurate information can be obtained by visiting the Marquette Central website. Marquette Central's professional staff is available for assistance Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at (414) 288-4000. Although care is taken to ensure the accuracy and timeliness of information contained in this bulletin, the information is subject to change and/or deletion without notice due to unintended error and/or ongoing changes in federal and state legislation.

Eligibility Requirements

To receive financial aid from federal and state programs students must meet the following requirements:

  • Be a U.S. citizen or an eligible non-citizen. Students with F1, F2, J1, or J2 visas are not eligible.
  • Be working toward a degree or certificate.
  • Be enrolled at least half-time. Audit, repeat and other non-credit classes do not apply.
  • Half-time: 4 credits per term for Graduate; 6 credits per term for Dental, Law and Health Sciences.
  • Be making Satisfactory Academic Progress.
  • Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at
  • Demonstrate financial need, if applying for need-based aid.
  • Not be in default on any loan or owe a refund on any grant made under Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended, at any institution.

Application Procedures

The first step prospective students must take is to complete the Marquette University online application for admission. Students need to be formally admitted into the university before they are considered for financial aid assistance. Students may apply for financial aid if they are currently enrolled or are applying for admission to Marquette University.

To apply for financial aid students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The FAFSA website is and Marquette's Title IV School code is 003863. It is important for students to file their FAFSA between October 1 and January 15 in order to receive consideration of all types of financial aid. FAFSAs received February 1 or later for continuing students may result in a reduced financial aid award. The student's Expected Family Contribution (EFC) is calculated from information provided on the FAFSA and is listed on the Student Aid Report (SAR). The EFC is an indicator of a family's financial strength and is used along with the Cost of Attendance (COA) to determine a student's eligibility for financial aid.

During the application process, students may be asked to verify the information reported on the FAFSA. Any aid offer is contingent upon completion of the verification process.

Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy

Marquette University is required by federal regulation to apply qualitative and quantitative standards in measuring academic progress for financial aid purposes. The complete Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy can be found on the Marquette Central website.

Office of Student Financial Aid - Available Programs

Scholarship Assistance - Private Scholarship Opportunities

Information on Private Scholarship Opportunities can be found on the Marquette Central website.

Loan Assistance

A loan is a type of financial aid that has to be repaid upon graduation or when no longer enrolled in school on a full- or half-time basis (depending upon the terms of the individual loan program). A master promissory note (legal agreement to repay) must be signed before a loan is disbursed. The promissory note contains detailed information about terms, responsibilities and repayment of the loan. There are no penalties for prepaying principal or interest in any student loan program. Federal regulations require all first-time Federal Direct Loan borrowers to participate in loan entrance counseling before disbursement of the loan.

Federal Loan Programs

The principal loan programs administered by Marquette for graduate students are the Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan and the Federal Direct Grad PLUS Loan.

Additional information about loans can be found on the Marquette Central website.

Truth in Lending Act Disclosures

Students borrowing any non-federal loans (e.g., institutional or private loans) must sign and acknowledge disclosure forms acknowledging the specific terms of each loan and stating that the student is aware of lower cost federal loan alternatives. The disclosure forms are sent out by the lending institution when appropriate. Each disclosure form clearly states what steps the students must take next and in what time frame those steps must be made.

Private Alternative Loans

Alternative loans are non-federal educational loans available from a variety of national lending institutions. Minimums and maximums vary for these loan programs, but all require a satisfactory credit history. Alternative Loan Lender Information provides links to a comprehensive, historical listing of all lenders that Marquette University students have used in the past five years. This is in no way exclusive or exhaustive of all existing lenders, and students are not required to select from these lists. The Office of Student Financial Aid honors requests to certify other alternative educational loans that do not appear on these listings.

Student Employment Assistance

The primary function of Student Employment Services, located within the Office of Student Financial Aid, is to assist students in securing employment on campus or off campus with businesses in the area. Many students help finance their education through part-time employment.

Marquette lists part-time on and off campus positions on the web-based job posting site, JobX.

Students wishing to work must comply with the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986. This means that new student employees need to complete an I-9 form with Marquette Central on their first day of employment. Students must provide original documents (i.e., Social Security card and driver's license or U.S. passport); copies or faxes of documents are not acceptable. Be sure to check the last page of the I-9 form for a list of acceptable documents to complete the I-9 process. Students may view the I-9 requirements on the Marquette Central website. Contact Student Employment Services at with questions.

For More Information

For more information please visit the 2022-23 Award Information Guide or the Marquette Central website. Contact us with questions at, (414) 288-4000, or visit Zilber Hall, Suite 121. When contacting Marquette Central, provide the students' Marquette University ID (MUID) number and four-digit Marquette Central Access Number (MCAN). Marquette Central's office hours are 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, CST.