Undergraduate students must meet the graduation requirements that are outlined in the Undergraduate Bulletin in effect the year in which they enter Marquette. Substitutions or waivers for specific courses that are required for degree completion may occur, as determined by the Klingler College of Arts and Sciences.
Students who interrupt their enrollment from the university follow the degree requirements from the bulletin in effect during the academic year of their readmission. In rare cases, the college may determine that readmitted students fall under a different set of degree requirements than the academic year in which they are readmitted. Policies and regulations in effect at the time of return apply to all students, regardless of the term of initial enrollment.
It is the responsibility of students to know and fulfill the requirements for graduation specified for the selected plan. Students are encouraged to use the Academic Advisement degree audit system, which is accessed via their Student Center and tracks courses that have been completed, as well as the Marquette Core Curriculum, college curricular requirements and major/minor requirements toward degree completion.
Candidates for a baccalaureate degree must meet the following graduation requirements to earn a Marquette undergraduate degree:
- Complete at least one major from the College of Arts and Sciences.
- Complete the College of Arts and Sciences second language requirement. (BA degree only)
- Complete the Marquette Core Curriculum (MCC) requirements.
Note: a further explanation of the curricular requirements can be found under Degree Requirements.
- Earn a minimum grade point average of 2.000 for graduation.
- Achieve a 2.000 grade point average in all courses in the major or minor.
- Earn 120 credit hours.
- Complete a minimum of 60 Marquette credits.
- Complete the final 30 credit hours needed with Marquette credits, unless those credits are earned in an approved study abroad program, or are earned as part of a written/contractual agreement with another institution in which Marquette students participate the final year of their degree program.
- For B.S. degree: Complete a minimum of 32 credit hours in upper-division Marquette courses (lower-division courses are numbered 1000 to 2999; upper-division courses are numbered 3000 and above).
- For B.A. degree: Complete a minimum of 42 credit hours in upper-division courses, ten of these credits may be non-Marquette credits (lower-division courses are numbered 1000 to 2999; upper-division courses are numbered 3000 and above).
- Earn a minimum of 15 Marquette credit hours in the major (for a minor, a minimum of 9 credits must be Marquette credits).
Other Requirements for Graduation
- Complete the formal online application for graduation available in the CheckMarq Student Center, by the specific term deadlines for application, as published in the Academic Calendar.
- The college adheres to the University Commencement Policy.
- The college also adheres to the University Graduation Policy.
Although most students can fulfill the Marquette Core Curriculum requirements, the college curricular requirements, their major requirements and elective courses without exceeding 120 credits, certain combinations of major and minor fields may require more than the minimum. Students are urged, therefore, to consult an adviser before selecting a major and any additional majors or minors.
It is the responsibility of students to know and to fulfill all university, Klingler College of Arts and Sciences and major department requirements (See the corresponding sections of this bulletin for additional information regarding the Marquette Core Curriculum, university graduation and residency requirements, college curricular requirements and department major and minor requirements).