Academic Regulations and General Information

Students in the Klingler College of Arts and Sciences are expected to comply with the academic requirements and regulations listed in the university section of this bulletin and must fulfill the graduation requirements stated in the bulletin in effect the year they entered Marquette.

Students who interrupt their enrollment from the university, normally follow the degree requirements listed in the bulletin in effect during the academic year of their readmission.  Policies and regulations that are in effect at the time of return apply to all students, regardless of the term of initial enrollment.

It is the responsibility of students to know and fulfill all university, Klingler College of Arts and Sciences and major department requirements.

While the principal policies and procedures of the college are contained in this section of the bulletin, questions concerning other regulations are directed to the college or relevant department office.

Academic Integrity

The Klingler College of Arts and Sciences adheres to the University Academic Integrity Policy. We believe in prevention through education; accordingly, the faculty of the college takes measures to educate students about the foundational principles of academic integrity.

In instances where academic dishonesty is suspected, instructors are responsible for initiating investigations into the alleged violation and students are responsible for cooperating fully with the investigatory process. Students and faculty should refer to the University Academic Integrity Policy in this bulletin for specific details.

If the college comes to know that a student has committed a substantiated act of academic dishonesty in a course offered by the college, and if that student withdraws from that course, the college assigns the student a grade of ADW for that course.

Absences from Final Examinations

Arts and Sciences students who miss a final examination in any course must contact their course instructor immediately. For more information, refer to the University Attendance Policy.

Academic Dismissal/Probation/Academic Alert (CAA)

Academic Dismissal

The Klingler College of Arts and Sciences adheres to the University Academic Censure Policy, as outlined in the Academic Regulations section of this bulletin. 

In addition, internal transfer students whose ‘Required to Withdraw for Academic Reasons’ appeal is approved by the college are reinstated or readmitted as an undeclared major on probation for a minimum of one term and special conditions are prescribed in writing at the time of the transfer into the college. Internal transfer students who fail to fulfill the specified terms of the conditions, are required to withdraw for academic reasons at the end of the term and there is no guarantee any future appeal will be upheld.

College Academic Probation

Undergraduate students in the Klingler College of Arts and Sciences are expected to maintain a cumulative and term grade point average of 2.000. Students who do not make the progress necessary to meet university and college graduation requirements are subject to academic censure. Students may be placed on academic probation or are continued on academic probation for the following:

  • A term grade point average (GPA) below 2.000
  • Inadequate progress toward the major
  • Inadequate progress toward B.A./B.S. degree requirements
  • One or more grades of ADW, C-, D+, D, F, I, NC, U, UNC, UW, UY, W, WA, or WF
  • A complete term withdrawal
  • The violation of special conditions

College Academic Alert (CAA)

Students admitted to the Klingler College of Arts and Sciences are expected to meet college academic standards and maintain good academic standing. Academic performance is monitored carefully by the Committee on Scholastic Actions, and students either not maintaining steady progress or not demonstrating adequate achievement are barred from future registration by a College Academic Alert (CAA) registration hold.

The bases for committee review are:

  • grade point average (GPA) deficiency
  • inadequate progress
  • grades of ADW, C-, D+, D, F, I, NC, U, UNC, UW, UY, W, WA, or WF
  • the number of terms on college probation
  • the violation of special conditions

Therefore, it is possible that students are barred from registration by a CAA even though the student’s cumulative GPA exceeds 2.000. Students concerned about their academic progress should consult the college office.

Students placed on CAA status are notified by letter or email of the committee’s decision and of the appeal process. If an appeal is approved, special conditions may be prescribed in writing at the time of the reinstatement or readmission into the college. Conditions may also be prescribed in writing in the case of students whose course performance or failure to follow academic advice warrants such action. All students to whom conditions have been specified are subject to committee review and possible CAA restriction should they fail to fulfill the specified terms. In addition, internal transfer students whose CAA appeal is approved by the college are reinstated or readmitted as an undeclared major on probation for a minimum of one term and special conditions are prescribed in writing at the time of the transfer into the college.  Internal transfer students who fail to fulfill the specified terms of the conditions are subject to CAA restriction at the end of the term and there is no guarantee any future appeal will be upheld.

If an appeal is denied, students may request to enroll in another college via the process outlined in the University Academic Censure Policy of this bulletin, and if accepted, the CAA hold is removed after transfer into the new college. 

Unless the CAA is removed via the individual colleges' appeal process, students may not register for courses at Marquette and may be dropped from any classes for future terms in which they are registered.


Upon entering the Klingler College of Arts and Sciences, students are assigned a pre-major adviser. All students must consult with their adviser (or the Arts and Sciences Advising Center) every term before they may register.

Upon declaring a major, students are assigned a major adviser with whom they must consult at least once each term before registering for classes. Students with more than one major are strongly encouraged to also consult with their second major advisers.

Advisers are available during each registration period as well as by appointment throughout the academic year.

Refer to the University Academic Advising Policy for additional information on Academic Advising: the University's Advising Philosophy; Goals for Advising; and Adviser and Student Expectations.


Because absence from class prevents students from getting the full benefit of a course and because in many courses, students' involvement contributes to the learning process for all other students in the class, the college has adopted the University Attendance Policy for all of its undergraduate courses.

Background Checks, Drug Testing

Some degrees, majors and/or courses may require students to submit a criminal background check and/or drug testing. The results of those checks and/or tests may affect students' eligibility to continue in that degree, major and/or course.

C-, D+, or D grades

Courses completed with a grade of C-, D+ or D do not count toward the total hour requirement for a major or minor but do fulfill the subject matter requirement and do count toward the total 120 credit hours required for graduation. Courses in which a C-, D+ or D grade was earned initially may be repeated once. In such cases, only the grade earned in the repeated course is counted in the cumulative grade point average, but both grades appear on the official transcript; credit is given only once. See the University Repeated Courses Policy. Cognate requirements can be completed at a C-, D+ or D grade.

Credit Overload

Students desiring to register for more than 20 credit hours must complete and submit to the College office the Credit Overload Request form available at Marquette Central academic forms website.

Elective Courses

Of the 120 credit hours required for a degree, those not fulfilling the Marquette Core Curriculum, the College of Arts and Sciences curricular requirements and the major requirements are deemed electives. Courses in other divisions of the university may also be taken for elective credit.

Independent Study (4995) Courses

Independent Study (4995) courses offer students the opportunity to engage with increased intensity the study of special topics under the supervision of a faculty member.

These courses may be used to grant students credit for serving as researchers in faculty labs or on faculty research projects when:

  1. Students are conducting independent research under the supervision of the faculty member.
  2. The type of work done by students clearly advances their educational objectives.

Faculty and students arranging an Independent Study course must adhere to the following guidelines for all 4995 courses:

  1. These courses are intended for students conducting independent research or interpreting or analyzing research data, under the supervision of a faculty member. (A 4995 course is not to be used to grant a student credit for serving merely as a lab assistant or for awarding credit for an internship.)
  2. All 4995 courses must be described by a complete syllabus, or a written course or project plan, which contains a clearly articulated set of instructional goals and a detailed plan for assessing whether those goals are achieved.
  3. The syllabus must also include a calendar of meetings between faculty and student (including dates and times), the dates for assignment deadlines, as well as assessment and grading methods (including percentages of the total grade represented by each assignment, exam or research paper).
  4. The course must include a culminating writing or research project reflecting the knowledge gained in the course.
  5. These courses are available only to juniors and seniors (exceptions are granted only in extraordinary circumstances and must be approved by the department chairperson and the associate dean of the college).
  6. A 4995 course is available only to students who have declared a major or minor in the subject area of the course proposed, and who has completed at least 12 credit hours in that department.
  7. These courses are not to be used as substitutes for regularly scheduled courses or for fulfillment of requirement of either the Marquette Core Curriculum or the Klingler College of Arts and Sciences curricular requirements.
  8. All 4995 courses are to be taught only by regular full-time faculty. If this is not the case (for example, where students' work is done in a laboratory off campus), departments proposing 4995 credit must ensure academic quality by providing secondary student mentoring by a Marquette faculty member, by requiring a plan for the proposed research, and by requiring a written record of the research results.
  9. Departments may establish the maximum number of credit hours (3-6 cr. hrs.) earned in 4995 courses which may be applied to a major or minor.
  10. Departments may also establish a minimum grade point average for enrollment in 4995 courses (3.000 is recommended), as well as additional guidelines as appropriate.
  11. An Independent Study course must involve a minimum workload of 170 minutes for each credit, during each week of the term, as per the University Credit Policy.
  12. An Independent Study course may not be used to award additional credit(s) to a regular credit bearing course.

The Independent Study approval form is located on the Marquette Central academic forms website. The deadline for approval of 4995 courses by department chairpersons is the first Thursday of open enrollment for the session in which the course is to be offered. Refer to the Academic Calendar for deadlines.

Majors and Minors

Candidates for degrees are required to complete a major. Formal declaration of the major should be filed in the appropriate departmental office, usually during the sophomore year, but no later than the first term of the junior year.

A minor is not required but is offered in most disciplines and some interdisciplinary fields within the College of Arts and Sciences and in other colleges. Students pursuing a minor must complete a declaration of minor form found on the Marquette Central academic forms website. Once completed, the form must be submitted to the students' college records office.

The number of credit hours required for various majors and optional majors and minors is listed in the departmental sections of the bulletin.

Overlap Limit: A minor requires 9 unique credits (credits not used to satisfy requirements for a different major/minor). A major requires 15 unique credits (credits not used to satisfy requirements for a different major/minor). Cognate requirements are not considered when examining overlap of majors or minors.​

At least fifteen credit hours in the major and nine credit hours in the minor must be completed at Marquette.

Interdisciplinary Majors and Minors

The Klingler College of Arts and Sciences is committed to the fundamental goal of integrating diverse areas of learning into a coherent whole. For students whose interests go beyond the boundaries of traditional disciplines, the college offers the interdisciplinary majors and minors listed in the college section - Interdisciplinary Majors and Minors

Individually Designed Interdisciplinary Majors and Minors

In addition, students for whom particular interests may be better served by a flexible grouping of courses from several areas can create an individually designed interdisciplinary major or minor. Examples of such self-designed majors or minors include Italian Studies and Middle Eastern and North African Studies. Students should consult the college office regarding the creation of this major or minor, and to acquire the guidelines and the form that must be submitted. Students must work with a faculty adviser in their area of interest. With this adviser, students write a proposal explaining the relationship between educational objectives and the choice of an interdisciplinary major or minor, a list of courses to be included and the sequence in which they will be taken. Two letters of recommendation are required: one from the faculty adviser, and the second, from another faculty member familiar with the student's academic work. Such proposals, as well as any subsequent modifications, must be approved by the college’s associate dean.

Transfer Credit Policy

In accordance with the University Transfer Credit Policy, the Klingler College of Arts and Sciences grants credit for courses taken for a grade and completed at a C or better at a regionally accredited college or university. Only credit transfers, not grades. Courses completed in a quarter-hour system are converted to semester credits. A Marquette equivalent is specified for each transferable course. Courses awarded as 9290-9299, (lower division) or 9390-9399 (upper division) indicate transferable credit for which there is no discernible Marquette equivalent. Courses awarded as 9290-9299 or 9390-9399 count toward the degree and may fulfill Marquette Core Curriculum, college curricular, or major/minor requirements; however, they will not fulfill any requirement where a specific course is required (e.g., PHIL 1001 Foundations in Philosophy or THEO 1001 Foundations in Theology: Finding God in all Things). Contact the director of student records with any questions or concerns regarding transfer of credit.

Other Academic Regulations

For information on additional university regulations, consult the Academic Regulations section of this bulletin.