Director: Michael Wert, Ph.D.
Early Jesuit pioneers, like Francis Xavier and Mateo Ricci, were among the first Europeans to engage Asians in intellectual exchanges. Asian Studies at Marquette continues the long and rich tradition of Jesuit interest in Asia. The interdisciplinary minor in Asian Studies introduces students to the culture, history, politics, economics, geography, anthropology, sociology, philosophies and religions of Asia. This knowledge prepares students to meet the challenge of global careers that are increasingly focused on the developed and developing nations of this region.
Back To Top
Asian Studies Minor
The minor consists of 6 courses (18-20 credit hours): a required introductory History course (3 credit hours) and five courses (15-17 credit hours) to be chosen from the elective courses listed below. A maximum of two language courses * (6-8 credit hours) may be counted toward the Asian Studies minor.
|Required Introductory Course:|
|HIST 1501||East Asia||3|
|Elective Courses: Choose five courses from the following.||15-17|
|Chinese Culture and Civilization|
|Elementary Chinese 1 *|
|Elementary Chinese 2 *|
|Intermediate Chinese 1 *|
|Intermediate Chinese 2 *|
|Chinese Literature in English Translation|
|Topics in Chinese Language, Literature and Civilization|
|The Vietnam War Era|
|Age of the Samurai|
|Topics in History (depending on content and director's approval)|
|Readings in History (depending on content and director's approval)|
|Undergraduate Seminar in History (depending on content and director's approval)|
|Japanese and Korean Politics|
|Politics of the Indian Subcontinent|
|International Politics of Asia|
|Survey of World Religions|
|Islam: Faith and Practice|
|Hinduism, Yoga, and Buddhism|
|Total Credit Hours||18-20|
- *A maximum of two language courses (6-8 credit hours) may be counted toward the Asian Studies minor.
- HIST 4931 Topics in History, HIST 4953 Readings in History and HIST 4955 Undergraduate Seminar in History may be chosen dependent on content and prior approval of the director of the Asian Studies minor.
- Any exceptions to the courses listed must have prior approval of the director of the Asian Studies minor to be counted toward the minor.
On this page
- Africana Studies
- Applied Mathematical Economics
- Asian Studies Minor
- Broad Field Science
- Broad Field Social Science Minor
- Catholic Studies Minor
- Environmental Ethics Minor
- Ethics Minor
- Family Studies Minor
- International Affairs
- Medieval Studies Minor
- Peace Studies
- Public History Minor
- Urban Affairs Minor
- Women's and Gender Studies