Undergraduate students must meet the graduation requirements that are outlined in the Undergraduate Bulletin in effect the year in which they enter Marquette. Substitutions or waivers for specific courses that are required for degree completion may occur, as determined by the Klingler College of Arts and Sciences.
Students whose enrollment is interrupted for two or more consecutive terms must meet the requirements outlined in the Undergraduate Bulletin in effect the year of their readmission to the university. In rare cases, the college may determine that a readmitted student falls under a different set of degree requirements than the academic year in which he/she is readmitted.
It is the student’s responsibility to know and fulfill the requirements for graduation specified for the selected plan. Students are encouraged to use the Student Center/Academic Advisement system which tracks courses that have been completed, as well as the UCCS, college foreign language requirement, and major/minor requirements toward degree completion.
A candidate for a baccalaureate degree must meet the following graduation requirements to earn a Marquette undergraduate degree:
- Complete at least one major from the College of Arts and Sciences.
- Complete the College of Arts and Sciences Curriculum.
- Complete the University of Common Studies Requirements.
Note: a further explanation of the Curricular Requirements can be found under Degree Requirements.
- Earn a minimum grade point average of 2.000 for graduation.
- Achieve a 2.000 grade point average in all courses in the major or minor.
- Earn 120 credit hours.
- Complete a minimum of 60 Marquette credits.
- Complete the final 30 credit hours needed with Marquette credits, unless those credits are earned in an approved study abroad program.
- For B.S. degree: Complete a minimum of 32 credit hours in upper-division Marquette courses (lower-division courses are numbered 1000 to 2999; upper-division courses are numbered 3000 and above).
- For B.A. degree: Complete a minimum of 42 credit hours in upper-division courses, ten of these credits may be non-Marquette credits (lower-division courses are numbered 1000 to 2999; upper-division courses are numbered 3000 and above).
- Earn a minimum of 15 Marquette credit hours in the major (for a minor, a minimum of 9 credits must be Marquette credits).
Other Requirements for Graduation
- Complete the formal online application for graduation available in the CheckMarq Student Center, by the specific term deadlines for application, as published in the Academic Calendar.
- The college adheres to the University Commencement Policy.
- The college also adheres to the University Graduation Policy.
Although most students can fulfill the University Core of Common Studies requirements, the B.A. or B.S. College foreign language requirement, their major requirements, and take elective courses within 120 credits, certain combinations of major and minor fields may require more than the minimum. Students are urged, therefore, to consult an adviser before selecting a major and an optional minor.
It is the responsibility of students to know and to fulfill all university, Klingler College of Arts and Sciences and major department requirements (See the corresponding sections of this bulletin for additional information regarding the University Core of Common Studies, university graduation and residency requirements, College foreign language requirement and department major and minor requirements).